Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Wombmate






I meant to have this blog done on her birthday, but alas, other duties called. My best friend, Charlotte, my wombmate, turned 29 on April 26, and folks, this girl loves birthdays!

For those of you unfamiliar with the ‘wombmate’ history: Charlotte’s mom and my mom were pregnant at the same time and once I entered this blessed world, dear Char only took 9 short days before she joined me. It seems in retrospect that we were always chasing each other’s tails in life’s milestones: who could drink her milk faster, who was taller (her mom would always have a stand back to back to compare—guessing she didn’t get the memo on basic genetics), who could sell more homemade hair bows in junior high, who would be the first to kiss a boy (thanks Jason Jamora, really unforgettable), who could score higher than 41% on our college bio test, etc. etc. But it’s important to mention that, though we were competitive, this crazy sisterly bond always prevailed. While some people have horrific memories of junior high and high school, I have these fantastic, funny (sometimes embarrassing), precious memories due mostly to the fact that I had a fiercely loyal best friend.

When I think about her, I either want to cry these tears of grateful joy or pee my pants, and, seriously, we all know the latter has happened. This may gross you out, but honestly, aren’t you a bit jealous that you haven’t laughed that hard?

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are so lucky to have a great wombmate! I love the picture of Boston's "mud-stache!"

charlotte said...

oh my goodness!! i feel like such a celebrity! you are so amazing my precious wombmate. let me tell you, those 9 days without you were rough! love you!! and emily, your "mud-stache" comment was classic! must trademark!