Monday, June 20, 2011

Dad Day

Charlotte posted a cute card she made for her dad for Father's Day, so, though I hesitated yesterday, I'll post this little poem I scripted for my daddy-o. It seems I was fairly organized this Father's Day, though that's not typical. And Mother's Day, well, forgetaboutit. Mom poem or song (sung grossly off-key) coming in 2012!

Unlimited Dadda-Plan

I sure love that Dadda of mine,
Vocab king and writer divine,
From breakfasts at Foxy’s, Griffith’s ponies, and feeding the ducks,
To pj dates, pop moves, and pool party potlucks,
I knew this guy cared about my tiny heart and soul,
With each hug, kiss, and somersault roll.

Yeah we’d Doug and Wendy whine as all kids tend to do,
But there were certain things we kiddos always knew,
That Dad would listen whenever we spoke,
And he’d feel deeply our joy or if our hearts broke.

But it’s not always what he said that meant the most to me,
It was watching him live and learning to be:
Silly with Bonnie and a wheelchair church race,
Saying you’re sorry, not trying to save face,
Looking people in the eyes and giving a smile,
Service and patriotism more than once in a while.

I see more of Dad even now that I’m grown,
When making a lunch, a mudslide that’s blown,
Reading to the kids, teaching them to write notes,
Tying their shoes and buttoning coats.

Harnessing navy language if someone does them wrong,
Off for a date, saying I won’t be gone long.
A-frame eyebrows and steering wheel drums,
Bored people are boring, stop twiddling your thumbs.
Be considerate, gracious and show that you care,
If you need a good vomit, I’ll hold back your hair.

The generations to come will surely follow suit,
Less tech-challenged and taller to boot,
They’ll learn to find love and have a family,
All from this little branch on the tree.
So when you think your gray days will leave you dust in the wind,
Remember that eternity is only about to begin.

4 comments:

Stephie said...

Beautiful Chelsea!!!

charlotte said...

so sweet, chels! love it! and thanks for the cute shout out. you da best, oda.

The Queen said...

Love it Chels.

Julyssa Schenk said...

awesome poem! Now, write one about me ... lol!!! stat