Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dog Daze


It's so sad to think that we only have a couple more months (hopefully) with our sweet Emma dog, due to her recent bone cancer diagnosis. She has truly been a member of our family. And while she has a couple unpleasant quirks (her gas and drool!), everyone who has spent any time with her would tell you she's one of the best dogs they've met. She is amazing with children. She is a sister and guardian to my kids and a lump of a love to visitors. I always have a house full of people and she is such a good sport to let kids crawl on her, poke her, and attempt to saddle her up for a ride. She never shows a bit of temper, and would rather lay on the floor amidst the chaos and kiddos than to be away from people.

If my kids are in the front yard and I can't see them or they've wandered, I can tell Emma to go find them and she'll head out to them or stand at attention by the front door watching them. She is protective and loyal and will get between me and a stranger or another dog. Last week there was an unfamiliar working on the house next door. He got close to one of the kids to take a picture of the house and Emma immediately assumed the downward dog position, looking as though she'd pounce (though more likely lick to death) her 'target'.

We just love her so much. There is more to be said, but for now I'll just enjoy hearing her quietly snore next to me and consider myself blessed.

5 comments:

Stephie said...

<3 Oh she sounds wonderful. I have a soft spot for big dogs!

harmony marie said...

oh man, that's a pretty cute baby right there.

Maren said...

She reminds me of Nana on Peter Pan...the perfect nursery maid(you just need to teach her how to pour medicine into a spoon!) I'm sorry to hear she's leaving you.

Maren said...

By the way...I love Boston's haircut! He looks so grown-up.

charlotte said...

that sweet emma. she has been such a wonderful dog. so glad that your kiddies have had a sweet, non-violent protector