Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Baby Beckett



Easter morning before Boston, Cassidy and Trav headed up to his mom's for the annual egg hunt.

Brothers.

Our new little arrival is finally here after what seems to have been the longest pregnancy ever! It was a bummer that my mom was in town last week as the doctor had been telling me he hoped to induce at 39 weeks but changed his mind. At 40 weeks we opted to get the show on the road.

We checked in the hospital on March 31 at about 9 a.m. and I was hooked up on some pitocin (to augment labor) by about 10. The doctor came in and broke my water at noon (I know the men reading love details like this!). I got my epidural around 2 which took a while to take effect (panic!). The anesthesiologist came back in and redosed me (aka made my legs disappear!) so I tried to rest for a few minutes. I never did actually fall asleep but all of a sudden I didn't feel tired anymore. My hands started to shake a little and my body was telling me it was game time (which was pretty remarkable considering at this point I was not feeling even pressure from contractions).

Travis remembered my 'game face' from Cassidy's birth so he immediately called the nurse to come check me. Sure enough it was time to get the doctor there. After prepping for the delivery and getting the baby nurses in the room (and some extra NICU nurses just as a precaution because there appeared to be meconium in the fluid), they told me to start pushing. I attempted a push or two and little Beckett eagerly 'crawled out', popping a little arm out while they were still suctioning his mouth.

It was amazing, and I'm so grateful to have had Travis and Bridget there supporting me and giving me words of encouragement. (They say you shouldn't eat during labor, but Doula Bridget hooked me up with a protein bar and some candy...not to mention rubbed my feet!). Beckett is just gorgeous with his blonde hair and little button nose.

Overall we had a great experience at the hospital with fabulous nurses and so much help and support with Boston and Cass while we were away. Six fabulous neighborhood friends even came in and cleaned the whole house during my hospital stay!

Travis is off work all week, which has been such a blessing. He is the best! He's been getting up in the night to help out and has been building snowmen (yes, snowmen in April...argh!), toy shopping, and getting stuff done around the house with the two 'big kids'. He is a champion, so I'm sure the tears will be flowing when we have to get back to 'life'!

The kids so far are excited about the new bundle, though they've been full of extra energy and a little moody, which was to be expected.
More soon!

Tiny mobile upload.

8 comments:

the murdocks said...

Oh my word, Chels, he is gorgeous!! CONGRATULATIONS! Wow, what a blondie. I can't wait to meet the little stud. I hope you are feeling good and energized. I want to come visit asap! Lots of love and hugs.

Stephie said...

Chels, he is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congrats! How big was he! I hope I can meet him and your other two little angels someday soon!! Love to you! xo

harmony marie said...

Ahhhhh

Los Bagleys said...

Chelsea! I started to text you but my phone is acting up. Our kids have the same birthday! Mark Thomas was born earlier that morning at 3:36am. Your little man is so handsome! I love his little surfer dude hair! Many congrats, I am freaked out for when we return to real life!

Kelley said...

Beckett, you little love...welcome! And I'm so happy you had a doula, Chelsea. Glad all is well.

charlotte said...

he is so perfect! xoxo

Maren said...

You are amazing...I love hearing your birthing stories! He is adorable and I LOVE his hair (he's a blondie like his mama ;) hee hee) I love you!

The Bishops said...

SOOOOOOO cute!!!! Wish I could cuddle that little love!!! Congrats guys!!