Monday, May 5, 2008

My Name Is Earl


So you know how some days you're so stuck in your own brain? I've been thinking a lot lately about me: long hours, crazy kidlets, the muffin top of fat hanging over my pants that I so need to work out.

Today Bridget kindly offered to watch Boston and Cassidy for an hour. Ahh, what to do with an hour all to myself? Brace yourselves, this is big: I went grocery shopping. I randomly, however, chose to go to this ghetto-fabulous grocery store called Reams. In addition to nicely-priced groceries, you can pick up other necessities such as Wrangler jeans, Dickies coveralls, cowboy boots, and horse gear (located in the back next to the bakery). I was on the phone with Charlotte discussing our days and the humorously random merchandise.

In the baking aisle, an old man looked to me for assistance in finding gelatin packets. Apparently, when dissolved in juice, gelatin can ward off the pains of arthritis.

Curious. But as we get to talking, I'm starting to wonder if God is trying to send me a message. Earl, who twice said, "I'm a seaman" is almost 90 and pretty darn sharp. He told me about the 4 wars he fought for our country as a navey helmsman and his wife Vera who died a few years ago. He told me a term, "didimaw" that soldiers used to say in the Vietnam War, meaning something along the lines of pressing foward and getting the job done.

Really, though, the conversation was both hilarious and endearing. He told me to be a good mom because that was my respect and an honorable duty. I'm sure I'm not accurately conveying the tone of this whole thing, but I was touched.

Earl asked me if I believed in a spirit world. Yes, of course. He said, "I know it exists. I know it. Vera lets me know every day. She's always ringing my phone or knocking on my door." I told him she probably wanted to make sure he knew she was there so he didn't go picking up on other women at the Cracker Barrel.

As we left, he said, "Didimaw. Let's yack again soon." I told him that'd be great, but to not ring my phone or knock on my door a few years from now. He laughed and promised he wouldn't.

So tonight I'm feeling extremely grateful to do what I do, and especially to be an American.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love "didmaw!" You are so great to post your insights. I love how friendly you are. I definetly think there are reasons that we meet some people.